Overview & Objectives
The Hazard Communication for Managers and Supervisors online training course is an advanced-level course designed for supervisors, managers, and employers. Offering introductory and specialized materials to enable participants to better recognize, eliminate and/or reduce occupational safety and health hazards in work environments in which there are hazardous chemicals.
Participants in the course will cover in detail OSHA’s revised Globally Harmonized Communication (GHS) requirements for hazard classification, as well as safety data sheets and product labels. Developed directly from OSHA’s Hazard Communication (HazCom) requirements as outlined in the revised OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (HCS), this course is intended to ensure all participants meet their basic training requirements for hazard communication.
NOTICE: We suggest that all supervisors and managers also take Exceed Safety’s Hazard Communication Advanced for All Industries online course, which provides a thorough background and introduction to applicable OSHA HazCom standard.
Exceed Safety’s Hazard Communication for Supervisors & Managers online safety course is designed specifically to explain the OSHA Hazard Communication standard, the elements of a hazard communication plan, associated responsibilities, GHS chemical hazard classification, and more. Specific course topics include the following:
- Introduction, background, definitions, and incorporation of hazard communication
- Hazardous chemicals and classification basics
- Hazard communication responsibilities for individuals including manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, importers, employees, supervisors, and managers
- Hazard communication program elements including a written program, responsible staff, inventory, labeling and elements thereof, appropriate statements, and more
- Information and training, such as tips, safety, health, and compliance
- Trade secrets
General methods for hazardous chemical detection, protection, and control
- Additional sources of information specific to hazard communication
- Compliance checklist for supervisors and managers
Specific industry terms covered throughout the course include the following:
- Hazard communication, HCS, HCP, employee right to know
Safety data sheets (SDS) and material safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Precautionary statement, pictogram, and signal word
- Trade secrets
Who is this Course for?
The Hazard Communication for Managers and Supervisors is intended to provide hazard communication orientation information for operating officials and/or employees who may have exposure and/or potential exposure to hazardous chemicals and substances. This course is primarily beneficial for the following:
- Project owners, senior managers, building and facility owners who subtract to vendors, etc.
- Subcontractors who may come into contact with site hazardous chemicals
- Manufacturers, importers, distributors, or suppliers of hazardous chemicals
Additionally, this course is applicable to employers and staff in nearly all places of employment including, but not limited to construction, general industry, manufacturing, warehousing, and service and transportation.
Features & Benefits
Exceed Safety’s Hazard Communication for Managers and Supervisors online training is designed to incorporate the latest industry standards, requirements, and revisions to hazard communication standard as set forth by OSHA. Upon successful completion of this course, participants can expect to be able to do the following:
- Describe the supervisory responsibilities for providing and maintaining safe and healthy working conditions for employees in regard to hazardous chemicals.
- List the fundamental elements of OSHA’s HCS as it applies to employers.
- Identify and locate additional OSHA standards that closely align with OSHA’s HCS – such as OSHA Subpart Z.
- Develop and/or implement an employer’s written Hazard Communication Program that meets OSHA’s expectations to include the hazardous chemical inventory, recording, reporting, and availability of hazard communication information in the workplace.
- Select and utilize supervisor/managerial tips and tools for worker training and information surrounding hazardous chemicals, dealing with spills, detection and abatement of hazardous chemicals, compliant work practices, and more.
- Recognize when additional HazCom training or retraining of employees is needed.
- Identify two sources of additional information pertaining two HazCom.
In order to successfully complete this course and earn the 0.1 CEU requirements, all participants must complete the course in its entirety, pass all knowledge checkpoints with a score of at least 70%, and complete the course form at the end. Upon completing the course, participants will receive a course completion certificate displaying CEUs earned that can be printed at any time.
In Person Training
Our in-person training is taught by our most skilled and experienced instructors. Participants can expect to be engaged with the material being taught. We strive to make our in-person classes dynamic by incorporating meaningful activities that allow peer-to-peer discussion and collaboration, hands-on learning, and real-life examples. Because our instructors are so experienced, they are able to answer most questions quickly and in-depth. Some of our classes are available via Zoom (just call us for more information) and can be combined with virtual-blended learning.