Overview & Objectives
Road construction and work zone activities often interrupt the normal flow of traffic and require workers to maintain order for on-site vehicles and highway traffic alike. Doing so helps prevent common traffic-related hazards to keep workers, passers-by, and drivers safe while in the work zone. Work Zone Traffic Control for Construction addresses OSHA best practices for work zone traffic management to help employees and employers maintain a safe, compliant construction site.
This intermediate-level online course covers the practices, behaviors, and equipment needed to maintain a safe, smooth flow of traffic on and near construction sites. Course topics include:
- Fundamentals of work zone safety
- Traffic control plans
- Work zone design
- Basic traffic controls
- Installation and removal of traffic control devices
- Highway traffic engineering controls
- Highway traffic administration
- Work practice controls
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) for day and night, protective vehicles, and other protective equipment
- Work zone traffic control supervisor checklist
- Planning and coordination with relevant agencies, emergency units, and traffic control safety units
Students are encouraged to review the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) per OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1926.200 and pursue additional traffic control training courses based on their job duties and responsibilities.